Real Property Management Raleigh helps mitigate the issue of renting to tenants with pets by conducting an annual inspection. Any issues found are addressed immediately with the tenants.
It is wise as a property owner to keep an open mind to tenants with pets. Many would-be tenants are more likely to seek out pet friendly properties that allow them to keep their pets, rather than getting rid of them for a short-term living situation.
Vacancy rates aside, it’s nonetheless easy to understand any property owners reluctance to allow pets. Animals open a unit up to more potential damages and can cause noise and safety issues in a complex, not to mention a host of other problems that are often simply not worth the hassle. However, while there are a number of valid reasons to ban pets, there’s also a few good reasons to allow them; namely, it open up the potential pool of tenants and allows for increased rental rates.
RPM Raleigh uses several considerations when allowing pets.
- Includes a special clause in the tenant pet agreement allowing the tenant to keep pets.
- Sets and communicates clear expectations in terms of upkeep of their animal(s).
- Established guidelines for following up on complaints from neighbors if they occur.
- Sets a maximum number of pets allowed per property (two is standard).
- Defines exactly what types of pets are allowed, and which ones are not allowed.
In closing, renting to tenants with pets can be done successfully and will most likely decrease the vacancy rate of the property. Here at Real Property Management Raleigh we are ready to help with your property management needs.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.